A DAY IN THE LIFE OF LIZA URLA
You’ve heard of my GEM TALKS, where I interview amazing men and women from the world of jewellery. Well today, our feature guest is a familiar face that you’ll recognize instantly. She goes by the name of Liza Urla! That’s right, I’m having a heart-to-heart with myself! Because my dear readers, so many of you want to know what I do behind the scenes to make GEMOLOGUE such a huge success. So won’t you put on your best pearls and join me for a cup of green tea, while I spell it all out to you in intimate detail!
I live and breathe jewellery in all its many facets. It’s always been a passion of mine and the centre of my universe. Since 2009, I’ve poured my heart and soul into GEMOLOGUE and collaborated with more than 200 jewellery brands to create one of the Top 5 Jewellery Blogs on the Internet. I have an amazing team behind me that I can’t thank enough for helping me create such a beautiful and unique showcase for jewellery. It is my proudest gem.
Last year, I received the UK Blog Award for Best Blog in the Fashion Category. These awards and a strong social media presence have earned me the title of Jewellery Influencer around the world. I’m often invited to write articles and curate jewellery for major fashion magazines like Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue, or give interviews to FT and other newspapers and online publications. I’ve made several appearances on TV around the world, most recently I had an audition for the BBC diamond documentary! You can find out more about my media appearances on my Press page.
Since the beginning of GEMOLOGUE, my aim has been to create a celebration of fine jewellery, fashion jewellery and vintage jewellery. Ultimately, I wanted to:
TRANSFORM: I wanted to show you a different world where jewellery comes to life through my eyes, and my own firsthand experiences. Jewellery is supposed to be worn, and I like to try on everything I write about, so you get to see what these beautiful pieces look like up close and personal.
ENTERTAIN: This is my way of having fun and tapping into my creative side. From time to time, we’ll create stylish shoots that always add an element of fun. Remember when I showed up for Fashion Week in my pearl jewellery face? Or this year, when I wore a pearl Kokoshnik?
EDUCATE: I love sharing my knowledge and discoveries with you, as well as any helpful tips. When I travel around the world visiting leading jewellery fairs in places like Basel, Las Vegas, London, Paris, Bahrain and Hong Kong, you can find me on stage giving a speech or a presentation. Recently, I was in Munich at the biggest jewellery fair in Germany and I gave a presentation on pearls. Sometimes at these fairs, I’m invited to take over a jewellery brand’s social media channels, for instance, and send updates from the shows. Also, many universities and colleges will invite me to speak to students about my experience in alternative career ideas.
DISCOVER: I love to travel the world in search of new and exotic jewellery designers. I need to meet these designers face to face and experience the jewellery firsthand. It’s how I stay authentic and true to my readers. I will not recommend anything I haven’t seen and tried on for myself. If I’m going to write a blog about 10 things to know about Brazilian jewellery, I’ll fly to Brazil. If it’s an article on the beautiful Gabrielle Chanel, I’ll take the Eurostar to Paris and visit Mademoiselle’s apartment on rue cabochon in person. I also love discovering new jewellery designers from all over the world. This was my inspiration behind KICK GEM that I launched on GEMOLOGUE for emerging, talented jewellery designers.
GEMOLOGUE has been an incredible inspiration to me and I’m so glad so many of you feel the same way. Last July, I decided to revamp the site and put a lot of love and effort into redesigning it, and I’m very happy with the result.
I decided on six different sections: Jewelry Reviews, Gem Talks, Designers, Jewelry Art, Street Style, and Events:
- JEWELLERY REVIEWS are unique to the online world and feature detailed write-ups about carefully selected jewellery pieces that are sent to me from all over the world. It’s always exciting to discover a piece from Australia! That’s where the real fun begins and I can let my creativity go! For my last jewellery review, I painted my face with red paint (no time to get to the theatre makeup store!) When ideas strike, I have to act on them! I still have paint in my hair! You can see all the action on Snapchat (lizaurla).
- GEM TALKS feature interviews with inspirational women and men – jewellery lovers like myself and my followers – and the amazing people I’ve met on my travels.
- DESIGNERS section features all the jewellery designers I have collaborated with over the years. When you scroll down to the bottom of GEMOLOGUE.com, you’ll see the complete list of more than 200 names of designers. As you can see, I can’t get enough. I am a jewellery addict and everywhere I travel I find jewellery. It could be a vintage market, a concept store or a museum. I can’t wait to visit Amsterdam to see an engagement ring with MDM crystal.
- JEWELLERY ART features in-depth interviews with handpicked jewellery designers that I admire and whose stories are inspiring.
- STREET STYLE features my everyday jewellery style. It’s something I started doing after being inspired by Fashion Week. Besides, I’m fashion obsessed and it’s so much more interesting to see jewellery in this context. Any excuse to wear beautiful, long dresses and gorgeous shoes! I’m a spontaneous shopper and too many times, I’ve had regrets about not buying something. I’ll beat myself up for days. So shopping is something I save for my travels, when I want to entertain myself.
- EVENTS feature all the exciting happenings in the jewellery industry from all over the world. The most recent ones I’ve blogged about are the Cartier pop up, the CHANEL exhibition, and Van Cleef and Arpel’s newly renovated Mayfair boutique. And lots of exciting press breakfasts, lunches and dinners to meet new designers.
When I’m not creating content for GEMOLOGUE, I’m putting together this week’s newsletter. Thanks to a digital marketing course I just recently completed, these newsletters are spot on!
I’m always looking for inspiration and coming up with new ideas. Lately, I’ve been having fun with the jewellery crossword challenge and revealing the meaning behind the jewellery in art.
WHAT’S THE FIRST THING YOU DO WHEN YOU WAKE UP EACH MORNING?
Just after I open my eyes every morning, I check Instagram. Earlier this week Instagram updated its news feed algorithm essentially mirroring Facebook’s news feed. Thats why lately, I’ve developed a preference for Snapchat. It’s more real and all my friends from around the world are using it. I’ll spend a few hours each day, creating content for GEMOLOGUE’s Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, and Pinterest channels. It’s a labour of love!
Next on the agenda, is checking my email – [email protected] I receive between 100 and 200 emails daily from journalists, PR agencies, jewellery designers, and my amazing followers. It takes me a couple of hours to go through all of them, but luckily my amazing team is there to help me. Some of them need extra special attention, so I’ll send them to my agent in the US.
A big chunk of my time each week involves being on set with my amazing team and GEM Kreatives for our next photo shoot. We’ll book about three to five shoots a week. If I’m lucky, I’ll get selected to be the new face for the jewellery brand. I’m happy to say this happens quite often, as I have a story to tell and have a profound understanding of jewellery and the skill and craftsmanship that goes into each piece.
Every day is packed full of fun and of course, jewellery galore! I wouldn’t have it any other way. So, now you all know – this is what I do! Until next time…
GEMOLOGUE by Liza Urla features exquisite global discoveries, trendy urban street style, exclusive interviews and rare jewellery reviews – a celebration of fine jewellery, fashion jewellery and vintage jewellery.
*Photographed by Flit Photography. Styling and Art Direction by Liza Urla
All photos belong to GEM Kreatives for GEMOLOGUE. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of GEMOLOGUE Ltd.